Advancements in educational technology and the increasing number of students with disabilities require instructors to design more accessible online courses. Accessible online courses provide educational opportunities to all students, especially to students with disabilities. The objective of this workshop is to provide participants with practical tips and strategies to design inclusive courses for all students. This workshop is recommended for anyone interested in understanding how to design online courses with accessibility in mind.
By the end of this workshop the participants will be able to:
- understand the different laws regarding accessibility in higher education
- explain the importance of designing accessible online courses
- identify the different types of accommodations for students with disabilities
- apply design strategies to make online courses more inclusive
- learn about the UNL resources available to instructors and students with disabilities.
Welcome to this workshop about accessibility in online courses. This is a self-paced online workshop, where you will learn about designing inclusive online courses. This workshop is delivered through Canvas (Learning Management System). This workshop is not intended to teach you how to develop online courses. It is designed to teach you how to apply strategies to make your online course accessible to students with disabilities. Even if you don’t have the knowledge and experience to design online courses, this workshop will still benefit you because the law requires that all courses, face-to-face or online, be accessible to all students. Please contact the Office of Online and Distance Education at 402-472-4345 or the instructional designer hosted in your department if you are interested in learning more about how to design online courses.
To access the content of this course, please click on “Modules” and go through the content sequentially. Canvas also has a mobile application which will allow you to access the content of this course through your mobile device.
This workshop will be divided into four modules which are:
- Module 1 – Why Accessibility?
- Module 2 – Laws and Guidelines
- Module 3 – Making Your Course More Accessible
- Module 4 – UNL resources for accessibility
The syllabus page shows a table-oriented view of the course schedule, and the basics of course grading. You can add any other comments, notes, or thoughts you have about the course structure, course policies or anything else.
To add some comments, click the "Edit" link at the top.